Friday, January 21, 2011

Rain

Sta. Rosa, Laguna 2009
nixasis

It starts with that distinct scent, a little hint just before the heavy grey clouds dominate the blue sky. The rumbling of the heavens is heard from a distance; the cool breeze slightly touches your skin. Then the raindrops start falling down from above. One by one, heaven's tears crash to the hard asphalt creating an interesting irregular rhythm. Until the percussive sound reaches its climax with a heavy downpour.

As I type these words, it starts raining outside. I love days such as this. It evokes a sense of melancholy and nostalgia. It reminds me of times I spent with my siblings playing under the rain. Days when I was saved from another dreaded Trigo exam because classes were cancelled. Those afternoons in high school when my friends and I would play Pepsi 7-up and patintero, all soaking wet. That Friday night when I immersed myself in knee-deep floodwater just to make it to a gig. Mom's arroz caldo and churros. Guitar practices. Long conversations enhanced by the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. Everything slow-paced.

...and yes, in this cold weather, I remember that day I left. I was certain I made the right decision, but never prepared how things had changed since.

2 comments:

  1. I can't post on your FB, but I also like commenting on your blog anyway.

    Days such as this indeed. It's a heartwarming feeling when it rains here in Vancouver, simultaneous with Manila.. making the distance feel, well, less distant.

    But the rain brings so much more memories, sometimes my favourite; where I would just lay in bed with my SO, just listening to the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna! What's up? I always love reading your comments. Thanks a lot for taking time to read my posts.

    It's interesting how nostalgic one gets when it rains. A sunny day does not provide that emotional space for reminiscence somehow. Why is that so, I wonder. Hmmm...

    I like what you've written: "It's a heartwarming feeling when it rains here in Vancouver, simultaneous with Manila.. making the distance feel, well, less distant."

    The rain sure does give us a feeling of proximity, whether to a place or a memory.

    ReplyDelete

Freedom Space