Monday, January 16, 2012

A Poem and Joni

Blue: Joni Mitchell
 

I haven't written a poem since high school so I'm a little bit rusty with this. Anyway, here's what I came up with while listening to Joni's Blue. Her melancholic, soothing voice struck a chord, I guess. 

Routine

Endless strings of disjointed remarks
Conversations that lead nowhere
Noise, utter mindless noise,
Caves in an emptiness that no one can fill

Voices say we can soar, but doubts drown the spirit
Dream remains separate from reality
So we throw away our paper boats and airplanes
And we don our suits and settle for less

 10 years down the road, our reflection is all we keep
Old, weary, and gray
Blue, maybe, blue as can be
Yet comfortable in the prison we've built

2 comments:

  1. Love the song, Nicole...and the true thoughts you've put down on pen and paper. We have choices though...i continue to hope that my choices break the prisons i build.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teacher Joy! Joni Mitchell is one of my favorite artists. Hay, settling for less and being comfortable in the norm. Choices, choices.

    ReplyDelete

Freedom Space