Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Plans
To attain normalcy is to have plans. Have a target, plot the best strategies needed, and aim the arrow on that single shot.
It is man’s ultimate activity— setting goals and timetables. We clutter our walls with checklists, to-do lists, grocery lists, wish lists, bucket lists etcetera, etcetera. We meticulously write down what we deem important to acquire, to accomplish in a span of time...things that will define ourselves as normal citizens of society. Our aims in life are driven by aspirations and desires. We hold onto old plans and childhood dreams as if by some miracle, they might come true. We only want the ideal…no compromise. But what if we’re all about plans, never putting them into action? Or what if, despite the hard work, you missed the target and failed?
Planning is not at all bad. Actually, we need it to give us direction in treading the rough roads of life. But what I have learned is that one must not get stuck to one path alone. You may call pursuing your one greatest dream no matter what the odds are as passion. But what if you are not meant to be who you aspired to be? What would you do then?
Enslaving oneself to a single target is like climbing a steep mountain following a lone trail. Then if it doesn’t work, it is like hitting a dead end. Worse, losing one’s footing, one’s grip…whole body suspended in midair with one hand holding onto a rock on the brink of falling. Trying to hold on to something that is never yours in the first place.
I pursued a childhood dream of mine once. All my plans were wrapped up to this chase. I only saw myself doing that and nothing else. Suddenly, in an unexpected turn, I hit a crossroad that made me realize the path I was searching for is not meant for me. So no matter how painful it was, I let it go. No looking back. As it turns out, freeing myself from that illusion is the best decision I have made so far. It led me to my Self.
Even in the most ingenious plan, disappointments happen. We don’t always get what we want out of life. Sometimes there is a delay in grants; at times a bitter rejection. I, too, have the tendency to cling on to old plans, familiar routines, childhood dreams. Holding on too long is unhealthy, a disaster in itself. We can only do our best and leave the rest to providence. If needed, ditch the old map and change your course.
And yes, be open to new possibilities. There are doors, still many doors which are meant for us to unlock, to explore. Be grateful for the detours and wrong turns. Learn from them. And have the courage to move on.
Labels:
Random Thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Freedom Space