Saturday, September 17, 2011

Koyang

2005. I was 21 years old and struggling my way through college. At that time, I lived with this equation:

Theory+Solfeggio+5-hour guitar practice daily=Nosebleed. 

Back then, I was in limbo. I thought that entering the Conservatory was a bad idea. Most of my High School batchmates were getting their diplomas while some were already entering the work force. I, on the other hand, was still a struggling music student who might potentially stay in college for another decade or so. My future seemed bleak, really bleak. Hopeless even.

Ailyn. Koyang. Me. Sheila.


One afternoon, a friend told me that Mishka Adams was performing at RH2 that day. I became a fan the first time I saw Mishka's video Where do we begin on MTV Philippines. Of course, I stayed after class and waited for 2 hours just to watch the show. I sat at the front row with my friends and when each musician took their place on stage for the soundcheck, I was starstruck. Koko Bermejo on drums , Louie Talan on bass , Mishka Adams on vocals. Heaven!

But I was blown away by the unassuming jazz guitarist--- Sir Edgar "Koyang" Avenir. He played the guitar effortlessly. And man, he produced the sweetest tones ever! He was making the guitar sing! And I was amazed by the complex chord progressions he played. You could sense that he truly eats , lives and breathes jazz music. Sir Koyang is my guitar hero from that day on.

After the show, Ailyn, Sheila and I approached him for a photo op. Diba, fan na fan! What amazes me until now is how approachable and down to earth he was. (and he had been playing professionally since the 70s) Once we cornered him at the backstage, we praised him and chanted idol, idol; he giggled at our insanity and politely said salamat.

I asked him about his secrets on performing jazz music and improvisation. And he simply answered, "Gawin mo lang. Tumugtog ka lang ng tumugtog." BAM! Just what I needed to hear at that time. From then on, I used that as my maxim to get out of my limbo and survive life in the Conservatory. Tama nga naman, just do itAnd isn't that applicable to every aspect of our lives? More often than not, we just have to keep on doing what we do despite the difficulties we face along the way. Never give up, do your share and let life take its course. Kahit makapal na ang kalyo sa daliri, tugtog ka lang ng tugtog sa musika ng buhay. Tuloy lang. 

Sir Edgar "Koyang" Avenir reunited with his maker early today of pneumonia arising from lung cancer. He was 61 years old. (from Inquirer.net)

He may no longer be with us but he truly left an indelible mark in Philippine Jazz scene. Salamat sa musika Sir. Tuloy ang tugtugan...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freedom Space