Sunday, December 12, 2010

After the Fall

2008
nixasis
While jogging at the nearby park, I saw a man biking with his kids. I couldn't help but smile when I overheard the father uttered encouraging words to his boys from time to time---words like, "You're doing great", "Wow, you're fast" and "You can do it". The little one is obviously the neophyte biker as compared to his brother. But with every pedal and maneuver, one could see his determination and will to keep his balance on the wheels.

We live for moments such as this, I thought. Then I continued my run.

Suddenly, the little one fell from his bike. Actually, more of crashed himself to the cold grey pavement. I stopped. He seemed hurt because it looked like a bad fall from my perspective. Surprisingly, he didn't cry; his dad and brother didn't run toward him for aid either. This is unusual, I said to myself.

Checking from a distance, the old man asked, "Are you okay?"

The little one, still keeping his composure, replied, "No".

"Hurt?"

"Yes."

Then the boy slowly stood up, mounted his bike and proudly said, "But I can still ride."

At such a young age, he recognized his wounds, refused to wallow in the pain and managed to pick himself up after the fall. His dad and brother helped him by keeping their distance and letting him do the work.

Who amongst us has the guts to do these: 1. stand up and move forward, and 2. give the other person the space to figure out things on his/her own?



2 comments:

Freedom Space