![]() |
| Pasta all' Amatriciana nixasis |
Wednesday. 4 pm. Along C5. Tarrega's Recuerdos de la Alhambra in the background. Steady driving pace. Right on time.
I should have gone straight home. That's my routine after all. 3:45 pm. Swipe-out. Drive home. But I felt a sudden urge to go somewhere else. And this is quite unusual for me. I am not the spontaneous type. Well at least, not anymore. I used to be carefree with no sense of direction. Now, to-do lists, marked calendars and time tables are posted all over my wall. Outlines and schedules are essential pillars of my adult life. Everything must run smoothly, according to plan.
Despite the self-imposed rule "no gimmick on weekdays", I gave into the yearning of my soul. I missed my turn and drove all the way to a quaint bakeshop called Mom and Tina's for a quick bite. The friendly waiter greeted me, handed me a menu and courteously answered my queries. After much thought, I ordered Pasta All'Amatriciana for dinner and carrot cupcake with brewed coffee for dessert.
I took my time, savored the sumptuous meal before me and enjoyed every minute, every bite, every sip. Then a sense of liberation dawned upon me which I have not experienced for a long time. At that moment, there are no pressing matters to deal with. No trace of panic. No rush. Just a slow-paced Wednesday afternoon at a cafe in my own company.
How can an unplanned hour give me so much joy? Even fill me with a sense of freedom and peace?
![]() |
| Carrot Cupcake and a Cup of Joe |
I guess ageing makes us prefer the familiarity, safety and rhythm that routine provides over the pleasant (or sometimes unpleasant) surprises of spontaneity. But then again, we should not miss rare opportunities for a slight change of course.


I loooove this entry. I guess I can relate big time. I even love the fact that you can still blog! Cheers for more random moments. Little things that matter. =)
ReplyDeleteHi Kaves! Thanks a lot! I really find time doing things NOT work-related. Writing keeps me sane somehow. As well as playing guitar. Well, sometimes we must loosen our grip and give in to the moment. That's when we regain our balance and feel free. Yes to random moments! And don't forget, yes to cupcakes too!
ReplyDelete