Sunday, July 3, 2011

Gender




A conversation I had with my student last Thursday...

Me: You can play this well. I believe you can do it. You are a great woman.

C: No teacher.

Me: Oh yes, a great girl.

C: Na-ah.

Me: What then?

C: I am a great person.

Gender could neither define the entirety of who you are nor limit you on what you are capable of. Moreover, despite our many differences, we are all equal in our pursuit of becoming the best individuals we can be. Some may have more drive or skill than others, but we have equal opportunities nonetheless.

How I wish I can take credit for this insight, that I've drawn this conclusion all by myself. But I have to say, I learned this from an 8-year old. And I am grateful for what she had taught me that day.

2 comments:

Freedom Space