Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving list 2011



We do not celebrate Thanksgiving in the Philippines. No turkey, no Black Friday. But I usually take this time to jot down 10 things that I am grateful for in my life. Here is my thanksgiving list this year...

1. Boxi, my Dad's 16-year old car, for the journeys we share together.

2. My aunts for teaching me a thing or two on doing household chores properly, being industrious, and living a simple lifestyle.

3. Skype for bringing me closer to my family who lives halfway across the world.

4. My teacher, Maestro Ruben F. Reyes, for he not only taught me the rudiments and skills in guitar performance...he also shared lessons on life. I am proud to say that he is my teacher. Salamat Sir! You are my Professor Morrie Schwartz.

5. My chosen profession for making me love learning and pushing me to become a better individual. I know, being a teacher will never make me a millionaire. But my work enriches me in more ways than one. And I have to thank Waldorf Education for that. The teaching practices and work ethics I have were instilled in me during my 3-year stay in Acacia Waldorf School. And the learning process continues in the traditional school where I am working now. I am not the only one imparting knowledge; my students are also my teachers. And the cycle goes on...

6. Independence for forcing me to think on my own and bear accountability in everything I say or do.

7. My friends, both old and new, for making life fun and exciting.

8. My struggles and mistakes for humbling me and teaching the lessons I refuse to learn but need to. The scars and bruises speak of life hitting me hard repeatedly due to my innate stubbornness. Paulit-ulit? ;p

9. Moments of loneliness and weakness (which I frequently experience nowadays)  for those are the times when I realize that there are aspects in my life that are way beyond my control. And in those days of surrender, my heart is open to listen to what the universe has to say and accept what is.

10. The great well of Inspiration (He, She, or They) for helping me in my work and guiding me in my journey.

For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

How about you? What are you grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freedom Space