I have a penchant for old movies. The Way We Were is one of those classics that I love watching over and over again.
What's so interesting about this movie, you may ask.
In a nutshell, what draws me to this film is its depiction of reality. It doesn't mask the fact that relationships are messy, muddled by complexities, and wars waged on a daily basis. It not only emphasizes on the beginning and the end, but focuses more on the middle of the story where the whys and the hows are answered. It also revolves around star-crossed lovers trying again and again to make things work, showing the cycle of adjusting, bargaining, and hoping. Until the characters are left with one thing: the acceptance of the inevitable goodbye. Not a pause, not a maybe someday. But an exact period, a definite end.
Why do I love this film then? Simple. It made me realize that a great love story doesn't always mean that the characters will end up together. What makes it great is at least for a time, it was lovely.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Freedom Space